A 10-week play writing course aimed at anyone aged 16+ looking to build confidence in creative writing.
This course will follow the framework of the acclaimed National Theatre Learning’s programme for emerging playwrights; New Views.
Each week participants will gain insights from today’s most significant professional playwrights such as:
David Hare, Richard Bean and Roy Williams
And use scenes from highly successful professional writers including:
Moira Buffini, Lucy Prebble, Alecky Blythe, Rebecca Lenkiewicz and Simon Stephens
As stimulus for you to try out new techniques.
Each session focuses on a different part of script writing. We will use practical exercises, discussions and feedback. As a result, you can generate your own new ideas and develop your voice as a writer. Everybody is encouraged to work at their own pace. Therefore, you can start from scratch with a new play, tighten existing pieces of writing or do both at the same time!
By taking part in this writing course you will have a unique and exciting opportunity to:
- Access professional writing tips
- Unlock your own creativity
- And therefore grow in confidence in your writing ability
- Sharpen your approach to research
- Explore your own talent
- Plus hone your ability to articulate ideas on key big questions and dilemmas
- Come and meet new like-minded people
- Also share your work on new platforms
- Give and receive peer support
- Take time out to consider your own writing process
- And ultimately have fun while learning new skills
The course runs across themes such as Story, People, Narrative, Scenes, Style and Stagecraft.
All sessions will be facilitated by Melanie Whitehead who worked for the National Theatre between 2013-17.
WARNING: The materials of this writing course contain strong language and controversial subject matter. Some people may find these offensive. The views expressed in the interviews are those of the playwrights only. They are not representative of the National Theatre or The Electric Sunshine Project.